Thursday, July 22, 2010

YM's green beans in cream



Yesterday I came home to a pretty empty fridge. So I did what I rarely do (unless I am making a pasta dish): I cooked an entirely vegetarian meal inspired by some recipes I had seen on the web and that I just happened to have the ingedients for. Yummy Mummy posted an interesting piece yesterday about recipe ownership and she mentioned an old recipe from her childhood, yellow beans and cream. I just happened to have a bunch of green beans in my fridge and decided to try out this unusual combination. I also made this chickpea recipe I had been thinking about for days to eat along with or in this soupy vegetable dish.

It was extremely simple, yet full of flavor and comforting at the same time.

Ingredients
1 pint string beans
1 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sage finely chopped (I used dried sage because did not have any fresh herbs)
Salt to taste

Bring a pot of water to a boil while you clean your string beans and cut them in half. When the water is boiling throw in the beans and let them cook for no more than 4-5 minutes, then drain and throw them into a bowl of ice water. Heat up the cream, milk, butter, sage and salt on a low fire, throw in the beans and let them soak up the sauce and soften a little more. Adjust salt to taste and sprinkle over some more sage. Eat in a bowl taking large, greedy spoonfuls (with the chickpeas if you like the extra kick and crunch).

Wee hands are great for this job


2 comments:

  1. Ciao, ho letto solo ora i tuoi due commenti ed eccomi qui :) Nice to meet you ;)
    Adesso ti aggiungo subito al blogroll di labna così non ti perdo di vista!
    A presto
    Jas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grazie! Piacere mio. E' proprio buffa la nostra sintonia di ingredienti questi giorni...hehe ciao

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.