Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tuna salad. Variations on a theme


I know, tuna salad is not a recipe. But it is still too hot to cook around here and I am trying to come up with new ways to make an old recipe more interesting. I mean, there are only so many times you can make a Caprese or a Greek salad in a week right?
A tuna salad is not a staple summer dish/sandwich here like it is in the States. You cannot buy it ready made in stores and I don't think I have ever seen anybody make it at home. So when my visiting nephew came over on the spur of the moment that is what I made. At least in its simplicity it would be more enticing than the expected last minute tomato&mozzarella or prosciutto&melon.
As I was mixing the tuna and mayo I realized I did not have any celery, so I chopped up some German pickles (Gewurzgurken) and tomatoes instead. I also added some curry powder with the pepper and salt and let me tell you, it was good! Serve with sliced tomatoes and fresh, crunchy ciabatta bread and you will have a winner!

The next time I will try to substitute the pickles with a Granny Smith apple. Crunchy, cool and a little sour: should be perfect with curry.

What do you like to make/eat on a scorching hot summer day?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds SWELL!!

    Ile

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious! I know what you mean about simple dishes but my husband always ssays that readers love them and it's true, they do :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.