Friday, June 3, 2011

Hello summer! Popsicles (with a secret ingredient)




It is a long holiday week end here in Italy and as you read this, we should be on the island of  Elba. My fingers are crossed while writing (figuratively speaking of course) that the weather will be decent, in the hope of seeing those sweet feet covered in sand again, of taking a swim in the probably-still-freezing Mediterranean, of having gelato while strolling down the Darsena looking at boats. If I will be doing just that as you read, then it is popsicle time.


Before I had kids I admit I had sort of forgotten about these guys, but now if you ask me popsicles are the best invention ever. Why?
1. They are good
2. They are healthy: fruit, yogurt, honey... hello???
3. They are a nutritious snack disguised as junk food
4. They use up leftovers, especially fruit a little past its prime
5. You can make a million different combinations
6. You can make fun, alcohol-based grown up versions
7. Kids always love them
8. They are the perfect emergency snack you can always keep in your freezer
9. They are refreshing
10. They are pretty

So what are you waiting for? Go crazy!




I usually use yogurt as a dairy base and have used milk in the past. This time I had some left over condensed milk and worked a treat. I will be using it again for sure, the kids loved it. When I am not using sweetened condensed milk, I usually add in a few tablespoons of honey.





Ingredients
1 small basket strawberries
a bunch of mint
1 banana
1/2 cup condensed milk

Put the cut up fruit and the other ingredients into the container of a stand up mixer or in a blender and process until smooth. Freeze.



10 comments:

  1. wow this is great...I bought some fruits today but I only have only banana and mango there is no strawberry available in the market today but still I try this without the strawberry...=)
    free nutritional information for your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I need to make some soon, it is too too hot here these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are having a great time at Elba! :-)

    These popsicles look delicious and I agree: they are a healthy and nutritious snack disguised as junk food, which always works to get the kids to eat it!!! hehehe
    Even though it is autumn here, I'd love to make some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your popsicle recipe! Well, it may be that I just LOVE popsicles! Great pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never made popsicles at home, but they look easy enough to conquer! I'll probably do mint ones for my BF... I think he'd enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raquel - hi! Banana mango sounds like a great combination.
    ToB - these are the best in the heat
    Manu - it took us about 10 hours to get here but we had a great day at the beach and took our first swim. Yay!
    Andrea - honestly, who doesn't love a popsicle on a hot day right?
    Pola - you just gave me a great idea: mint and condensed milk. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sucking a popsicle, especially the elongated one, is not too...wholesome for an adult. I say this because I once saw two grown men sucking on popsicles side by side and perhaps it's just my immaturity? It just looked vulgar to me. :-p

    But whatever the case, these popsicles sound delicious and so refreshing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. one tablespoon of condensed milk has something like 65 calories....did you use sweetened or unsweetened?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used sweetened condensed milk, but considering the popsicles did not have any other fat or sweeteners in it, I wouldn't worry too much about the calorie intake. This amount made about six popsicles if I remember correctly. Also, kids are so active, they will probably burn the calories right off. If you are following a low calorie diet, I suggest using low fat milk or yogurt instead, like I mentioned in the post. If you use a ripe banana you probably don't even need any extra sweetener in it.

      Delete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.