Friday, June 24, 2011

Pasta with ricotta and sundried tomatoes



Remember we spent last week end in the Alps?



Well, after trekking through the forest and sitting among the flowers in the meadows to have a picnic we also stopped to admire cows (my son, who is currently obsessed with bovines as only a toddler can be, calls them cow, mucca - Italian for cow - moo or even all three in a row depending on his level of excitement) and then walked up to a little farm to buy cheese, butter and salami.




Since we couldn't make up our minds, we ended up buying most of the cheeses on display.





One of the cheeses we bought was ricotta, although it technically isn't cheese as most of you probably already know, because it is made from a byproduct of cheesemaking, whey.


We ate it that same evening so that we could taste it at its freshest. This ricotta was not the white, sweet, smooth cream you can just gobble down by the spoonful that you buy at the supermarket.
 
This was the real deal, it was a little grainy in texture and tasted slightly like the stable and the cow it came from. It almost mooed.


 So I decided to make it with some pasta and to offset the creamy texture and slightly milky sweetness I chopped up some sundried tomatoes preserved in oil.


Those little ruby nuggets added a punch of fabulous flavor to each and every forkful. Add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, a dusting of freshly ground pepper and this pasta is the thing of gods. I think I will try adding some toasted pine nuts the next time I make it.



 Have a great week end!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I've missed your posts - just been busy! Seriously after reading/seeing this post I just said to my husband "we MUST go to Italy." He responded, "we need to MOVE there!"

    Seriously...this is all so beautiful... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a simple and delicious use of ricotta! One of these days, I'll get around to making my own =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely wonderful! I think this will be dinner Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the recipe and especially love the beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos of the Alps are calling me! Love them and that pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. complimentissimi Da Ginevra!! il tuo blog è bellissimo e le foto sono stupende, sei una vera artista! non sapevo di tutto questo, ora diventeró una tua lettrice! tanti baci e apresto si spera... dobbiamo vederci! bacioni dai Budas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh che belle foto!!!! Those cheeses are calling me!!! hahaha This pasta is such a great idea for a light, fresh summer dinner! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love adding ricotta to pasta for my summery pasta salad. Yours looks so simple and delicious! I will have to re-start making ricotta!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really delicious and something new to try. Thank you for sharing this.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.