Friday, July 1, 2011

Fudgesicles





Most of us working in offices have a routine, something that makes the endless hours sitting at a desk in front of a computer, day in and day out, bearable. The kind of routine you actually grow fond of and almost come to look forward too, especially if you have little kids at home. Those habits that make your day orderly, that dictate the rhythm of your work.


Checking your emails and missed calls, reading the headlines of the papers, a steaming cup of coffee and a chat by the coffee machine, lunch (and a look at your favorite sites and blogs whilst chewing), some gossip or a few laughs with a colleague on the way to the ladies'/mens'.



Except those days when the *beep* hits the fan, like today. When everything is hectic and crazy and there is no time to even go the ladies' room. This of course always happens when half your team is on summer vacation. But hey, the worst is over (should I even be writing that?) and today is Friday (T.G.I.F.) so I wish you all a lovely week end and a Happy 4th of July to all you lucky ones who have a lonf weekend to spend with the family.


Here is a great treat to enjoy with the family on a hot summer's day, reminiscent of childhood and belly flops and hot dogs and sprinklers.

Do you have an office/work/daily routine?

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen  (original recipe by Matt Armendariz).

Ingredients (for 4 popsicles)
2 tablespoons chopped semisweet chocolate
1/3 cup/70gr sugar
1 tbsp potato starch (or cornstarch)
1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup/300 ml milk
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1/2 tbsp butter

Melt the chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips if you prefer) over very low heat, stirring constantly. When smooth, stir in sugar, potato starch, cocoa powder, milk and salt and raise heat a little. Cook until the  mixture thickens, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, add vanilla (my homemade batch isn't ready yet so I skipped this step) and butter and stir until well combined. When the mixture has cooled pour it into popsicle molds and freeze.



9 comments:

  1. wow that popsicle looks great! It sounds like the summer version of hot chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having a fudgesicle hankering ever since I read Smitten's post awhile back, you've just turned it into a full-fledged craving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make something similar for my girls when they were little, not seen home made lollies like this for years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME- great recipe and SO relevant, since Roman had his first pop on Cape Cod and l-o-v-e-d it, (what kid wouldn't!)
    Hey, we JUST found out we're moving to NYC in about a month- my how things change.... I know you're from there, so if you come home for a visit, let me know!!!!

    Happy 4th to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I am freezing where I am currently there is something soit lickable about a fudgsicle! And sorry to hear that the beep has been hitting the fan! :o

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the idea of making these! They are one of those things that are memorable.... like your kids might not remember one 4th of July to the next....but they will remember the year they helped make these! Lovely... hope Monday will be calmer at work!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to buy these by the hundreds when my kids were younger; now they make sense too because everyone is trying to watch their calorie intake! Looks yummy and highly doable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the real thing! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so yummy! Ohhh chocolate... ohhhh hot weather... I love seeing all these summer recipe while having a cup of hot tea to warm up my fingers!!! hehehehe Have a great weekend! I know it's quite hot and humid there...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.