Tuesday, February 8, 2011

No-coffee tiramisù



I did it, I finally handed in the last pages of the job yesterday and can start breathing again. I admit I have been feeling tired and a little overwhelmed. I also admit my kids and husband got snapped at more than once last week end. The last few days before my deadline I was waking up at 5:00a.m. with my mind racing, thinking about what I had to revise, what I had to finish translating, what I had to look up.





Tiramisu (literally, pick me up) was just what I needed, minus the coffee. First of all, my family would agree, I didn't need to add caffein to the adrenaline already coursing through my body. Secondly, I made this on Sunday for a get-together with a bunch of friends and lots of kids and didn't want to make separate desserts.



Feel free to use coffee instead of chocolate milk, like the original recipe suggests, to dip your lady fingers in. And a drizzle of Marsala, or any other sweet wine, if you are so inclined. You can make it in single portions for a fancy dinner party or as a cake.

Ingredients
mascarpone cheese 500gr
6 eggs
sugar 120gr
savoiardi (lady fingers) 400gr
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk (or coffee)
semi sweet chocolate, about 1/3 of a bar

The first step is preparing the chocolate milk (or coffee) to dip the ladyfingers in, by mixing the milk with 1 tbsp cocoa powder. I use unsweetened cocoa because I don't like my desserts overly sweet. Next, beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar until they turn light and creamy. Cream the mascarpone with a spoon and then add in the mixture.
Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and add in the rest of the sugar and then gently fold them into the mascarpone mixture. If you like you can add a touch of Marsala to this cream or to the abovementioned dipping liquid.
Dip the savoiardi (lady fingers) in whatever liquid you have decided to use, making sure they soak it up but not too much, otherwise they will get too soggy. Place these into the container you will be using for the tiramisu and cover with a layer of the mascarpone cream. Chop the chocolate coarsely with a knife and sprinkle half over it, setting the rest aside for later. Add in the next layer of lady fingers, possibly perpendicular to the first layer (horizontal if the first layer was vertical and viceversa). Cover with the remaining cream, sprinkle over some cocoa powder using a fine sieve and then sprinkle over the remaining chocolate chips. Store in fridge for a few hours before serving.
Since the eggs you are using are raw, make sure they are very fresh and are of trusted origin and don't let your tiramisu stand out in the heat for too long. Another option is cooking them bain marie, but I have never tried this.




                           
  





10 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite desserts. I am planning to make my own mascarpone pretty soon for it. It is too bad that a lot of US Italian restaurants can't prepare it right. I tried some the other week that was made with some kind of dry sponge cake and filled with a light coffeee flavored butter cream. They called it "their house specialty". It was terrible.
    Can't wait to try yours. It looks so good.
    Greetings form a very cold and snowy Colorado.
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks WONDERFUL!!! I love tiramisu and imagine it tastes that much better when actually eaten IN ITALY! LOL!

    Happy you are able to relax a little now - good for you for getting it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks terrific. It's one of my husband's favorites...I may have to surprise him for Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your finished project! This is just the kind of dish that you can treat yourself to when you celebrate! Chocolate milk - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My K in the R - you go girl! Your own mascarpone, huh? We expect you to post it as soon as you make it.
    DD&W - For a while I swore I would never make or eat another tiramisu...I was just plain sick of seeing it EVERYWHERE. But I have to admit that it is really good if eaten once in a while.
    Melissa - sounds like a romantic idea!
    Ur Mom Cooks - I like the contrast of the coffee to the sweetness, but this is great for kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I found your blog a few weeks back. You must be a superwoman, doing all that you do- and a blog! I only have one baby and he's my full time job right now and I have a hard time keeping up my blog once a week! I am also in Italy (Rome) - this mascarpone is beautiful and I can't wait to try your recipe. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done and you must feel very free now! And what a way to celebrate with the literal pick me up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such an interesting take to the classic.. it looks so yummy! thank you for sharing this and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicole - hi and welcome! When I had baby #2 I thought I would never survive, I was already so busy with baby #1 and work. But it somehow works out. Believe me, what you see is a static and polished result of what is really a rushed, messy and noisy process.
    Lorraine - Very glad to have it over with and to get to read my favorite blogs again...
    BBKD - Thanks, it really is a tiny variation but it can make all the difference when you need a crowd pleaser, and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Post! Very informative, glad that you are going to continue writing things like this!

    Bain Marie for Sale Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.