Thursday, November 4, 2010

Victory! Double crust, shortcrust raspberry pie




Remember I mentioned I was having trouble uploading photos in my last post? Well, what happened was I had used up my available memory so I had to buy more memory space. This and the fact that it coincided with my facing one of my biggest fears (along with baking bread, de-boning a bird and... well, a million other things), baking a pie, made me think. I started this blog in the summer and in no way realized I had already uploaded more than 750 photos until blogger notified me. That is 4 months of recipes, photographs, thoughts, followers and new friends. And a pie.
 

 

I am still new to this blogging world, but I have already gotten so much out of this experience. My photographs have gone from bad to better to worse again (thank you autumn light and evening cooking!) but I still learned much more about photography and food styling than I ever thought I would.  I have "met" blogging companions from all over the world and been graced by their encouraging comments, their daily support in this endeavour and their creative ideas. I have found an outlet for my creativity, a space that is all my own, a place were I am plain old me and not an employee or a mother. Last but not least, this blog has pushed me out of my comfort zone, making me try things I probably never would have attempted before, even in the privacy of my own kitchen...and here I am reporting and photographing my disasters and failures for all to see! Life is funny that way...



Thank you for being there with me step after step.

So here I am, four months in,  posting about a double crust raspberry pie. It was neither professional, nor neat in the making. It was a last minute decision and I baked it in a pretty clueless state (without the help of almighty Internet) in the two hours between when we decided to reinvite our guests and when they arrived. I realized this morning, as I was researching pie baking, that I skipped some steps and did other things my own way. Nonetheless, it worked and the result was fantastic: flaky, buttery and tart. But I guess with that much butter, you just can't go wrong.


With cream


For the pie crust I used my recipe for pasta frolla, x2. It uses an egg instead of water to bind together the ingredients, it is easy and out of the 4 times I have made it up to now, it has never disappointed me.




For the filling I checked out the recipe in the Joy of Cooking.

Filling
5 cups fresh raspberries (I used 4 but my pie dish is a little smaller than the standard American size)
1/4 cup all purpose flour ( I used 00)
2/3 to 1 cup sugar (I used 2/3)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

While you are letting your pie dough cool in the fridge, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. If the fruit is very juicy and ripe, add 2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the berries and stir gently until well blended. Let stand. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C) and start rolling out your dough and lining your pie dish after greasing it with butter. 
Turn the fruit into the pie shell. Dot with 1 to 2 tablespoons butter (I omitted this step, or rather I forgot it!). Cover the pie with a well-pricked top (oops, forgot this part too; the prickling I mean). Bake the pie at 450°F (230°C) for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F (175°C) and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. I baked at 180°C the whole time and covered the top of my pie for the last ten minutes with aluminum foil so it wouldn't burn while the bottom was browning.
There are endless tutorials on line on how to trim the overhang and fold the bottom and top pie crust neatly. Too bad I looked at them after baking my pie. I used my intuition for the decorating part (I hadn't set out to decorate but I didn't want to waste the leftover dough). It may not look as fancy as it could have, but it worked for an amateur baker like me, so fear not! 













13 comments:

  1. Oooo raspberries! Absolutely making my mouth water!!! And the photo looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to remember this one for the next raspberry season. looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, the flaky crust and soft raspberry filling look yummy! I love the leaf decoration you made. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this post because it hits close to home! I know exactly what you're saying, I have learned so much too!

    The picture thing had me laughing because it's SO true! My night photos STINK and just when I like one - the next one is awful!

    I might take a photography class????

    Anyway, your raspberry pie looks Beautiful, I love its simplicity!

    Nice to know you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. UrMom Cooks - thanks. Dying to try your honey cinnamon butter.
    MyKintheR - There was an abundance of Italian raspberries at the supermarket the other day...now wondering about the season...probably cultivated ones.
    K - The leaf decoration was a total impromptu attempt to use up some cut off dough, which turned out much better than expected. If I would have planned it ahead, it would've been a mess knowing me.
    DW&D - I would love to take a photography class. When I read about it, it all seems to make sense and then, when I start snapping I go blank. Also, I am always in the midst of doing something or other with the kids and have to rush through it, when I would really like to take my time and concentrate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pie!
    As for the photography, I've got good photos and bad ones. I dont actually like taking pictures of my food, I find it kind of annoying, but its an important part to being a food blogger. I keep hoping i will learn to take better pictures... in the meantime, there's photoshop ;)
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so lovely! and your pictures are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't blogging great? "Meeting" different people from different cultures, sharing ideas and food!! What more can one want?
    I love raspberries but never tried them in a pie. I must! Those leaves on your pie are so cute.
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pie! I made a bunch of blueberry pies this summer but using ready made "pasta frolla" cause I find making it from scratch daunting. Will now have to try your recipe. Also that gorgeous red made my mouth water, but I really don't like raspberries, do you think it would work with strawberries? Am getting ready to cover my strawberry plants for the first snow, but am counting on having a lot of fruits this spring!
    Anyway, beautiful pie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raspberries are one of my all time favorite fruits! I'll bet they were absolutely mouthwatering in that pie. I love the decorative touches as well. Nice work!

    And 750 pictures in 4 months! Yowzas! You've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...now, I will make all of you envious, because I've been lucky enough to have the chance to taste this amazing pie! It was a fantastic experience! Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks all for your really nice comments!
    HH - I actually have fun with the photos (most of the time). My problem is I feel like I never have enough time and peace and quiet, I am always rushing through the steps between a diaper, a load of laundry and the office. Also, I am pretty much of a dummy when it comes to Photoshop unfortunately, plus as always, lack of time. I love your pics!

    BBKD - thanks

    MLEK - I love raspeberries because they balance out the sweetness and butter in the pie crust.

    Moomser - I think any berry would work, some are just sweeter than others. Maybe add in the traditional rhubarb? I am driving up and stealing some of your strawberry crop, hehe. I promise, that red is real, not photoshop. Amazing, huh? Anyhow, if I managed the pie crust, anybody can. This is a fool proof recipe.

    Julie M. - I have been loving this experience so much, that I really look forward to posting when I wake up in the morning. Thus, the overproduction of photos ;o)

    Claudia - you are the ultimate dessert expert. If you enjoyed it, than I am flattered. And thanks for your lovely photographs! I used a couple, as I am sure you noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on your pie! The crust looks magnificent and raspberries are currently my favourite fruit-I just cannot seem to get enough of them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.