Monday, March 14, 2011

Chocolate ganache tart with hazelnut crust and chocolate glaze - Help Japan



Posting about a dessert when tragedy has hit my fellow humans in such enormous proportions seems terribly superficial. Talking about ganache and toasting hazelnuts seems inappropriate when what I am really thinking about are my close friends facing yet another difficult health-related challenge. Beating eggs while history is being rewritten right across the Mediterranean seems silly.


The truth is that no matter in what proportions tragedy hits, whether macro or micro, life goes on. Life made up of small gestures like going to work, preparing a meal or picking up your kids from school. These are the things that keep you grounded when your own life has been overturned. We all see enough images of tragedy on the evening news, on the Internet, photographed on newspapers. And lets face it, even if something is not splattered across the front pages of the papers and we go on living our everyday lives, there is still something terrible happening somewhere to someone, for such is life.


I realize this is not the place to discuss the tragedies of our planet. People clicking onto my blog don't need to hear more about them, they come here to get an idea for dinner, but also for distraction, to escape everyday life for a few minutes, or so I like to think. I made lasagne with pesto without commenting on our Prime Minister's frolicking, I baked chocolate chip cookies while dictators were being overthrown and uttered not a word. But sometimes it is impossible to ignore what is happening outside, in the real world. So forgive my digression. This is my ode to normality.


Perhaps rolling out dough and following precise steps can be soothing, can momentarily distract from painful thoughts, can help bring back a touch of normality to someone's home.



For us, this cake was a celebration of friendship. We shared it with good friends and thought of other good friends who are not close enough to come by for a cup of coffee, a slice of cake and some words of comfort. Being close to people you love, family or friends, enjoying their company in a warm home while it is raining outside is a privilege we must never take for granted. So if you make this, promise me you will savor every bite. Think of the earthquake victims. Think of a loved one going through a rough time. And maybe bring them a slice, even just with your thoughts. I know I did.



Adapted from Dulce Delight


With this cake I am participating in the online bake sale for Japan promoted by The Tomato Tart. Sabrina is the mind behind this fabulous idea, a way to try to help support Japan in its darkest hour. I am so happy she has offered me the opportunity to contribute somehow. The auction  proceeds will be donated to Second Harvest Japan, a food bank that is working right now to respond to the immediate needs of the people displaced by this disaster. Whoever is interested in participating, please contact Sabrina directly through her blog. She was very helpful and promptly replied to all my questions.



Ingredients

Crust
1 cup ground graham crackers (I used Digestives)
3/4 cup ground hazelnuts (without skin)
1/4 bitter cocoa powder
4 tbsp confectioner's sugar
5 tbsp melted butter

Filling
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
9 oz. (250gr) bittersweet chocolate (55%)
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

Glaze
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 oz. (55gr) bittersweet chocolate
1 tbsp honey
1tbsp warm water

The first step is toasting the whole hazelnuts in the oven or in a pan. When they are ready, place them on half of a dish towel, cover with the other half and roll back and forth to rub the skins off. I overtoasted mine a little and didn't manage to get all the skins off but they tasted fine once they were ground, so don't drive yourself crazy doing this. Grind the graham crackers and then mix them together with the cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar and the melted butter. Spread this crumble into a tart pan or a spring form and then press onto the bottom and sides until firm. Bake in a warm oven at 180°C for a little over 10 minutes.
In the meantime, start preparing the filling, which is not strictly a ganache because of the addition of eggs. Chop the chocolate (Dulce Delight rightly suggest using no more than 65%. Even with 55%  the tart was not too sweet) and set some aside for the glaze (see above). Bring the heavy cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate. Let sit for about 30 seconds and then whisk together until it becomes smooth and creamy. Add in the eggs, the vanilla extract and the pinch of salt and whisk together.  When the crust has cooled, pour in the mixture and bake in a 350°F oven (180°C) for 20-25 minutes. While the tart is baking start preparing your glaze: heat the cream, pour over the chocolate, add in the honey and warm water and mix until blended and glossy. When the tart is ready and cooled, pour over the glaze and spread by moving the pan with circular motions.  

14 comments:

  1. I often "lose myself in the kichen" when I need to think or reflect. It's a form a meditation for sure. Thanks for this post, it's really great.

    The ganache tart looks over the top good! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, looks yummy, your pictures are really getting amazing! So, now you know what to bring next time you come to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you wholeheartedly; i can just say that in the middle of war (experienced in Lebanon) discussing what to make for lunch that day was still practiced, in an effort at normalcy. Life goes on even during tragic circumstances, in fact, especially during those times.
    Your tart is exquisite and I for one, would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uhmmm.... It looks delicious just like mine =)I love how you left some nibs to the crust, I bet it gave a nice crunchiness!
    It would be nice if you linked my blog´s name to my blog, just by adding the link to the name =)
    Thanks for sharing my recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so rich. and good. I think a lot of food bloggers feel this way, that it's "frivolous" to post with all that is going on, but you're so right. There is tragedy all day every day somewhere, and there always will be. So instead of feeling frivolous, we just have to live. And enjoy life changing cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely true about baking. Whenever I come back from being away I right myself by cooking or baking something in the kitchen. It helps to stabilise me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. DD&W - these days I always have an ear or an eye on what is going on in the other room or at my feet if you know what I mean. But it certainly was a time for meditation in the past.
    Moomser - if I can ever figure out how to get it there without it turning into chocolate mousse with hazelnut crumble (hey, maybe we just came up with a new dessert) I will!
    ToB - thank you for your description of everyday life in a country ravaged by war.
    Raiza - yes, yours was truly an ispiration. Loved your video. The nibs were accidental, my grinder didn't grind as finly as yours, but in the end it did give a wonderfully crunchy texture. I linked your name and than you! I will back visiting for more great ideas.
    Nicole - I guess so. Live and feel compassion and gratitude.
    Lorraine - I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this lovely chocolate glazed tart, its looking aweome and am sure must be an utter delight to have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. they looks gorgeous .. beautifully done1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keeping busy helps the mind focus and makes it easier to think things through and get them done. I, for one, love to to get to know the folks with whom I correspond. You and I are both more than the sum of what we eat. People who come to know and like us understand that. The ganache is gorgeous. Have a great evening. Hugs and blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! i am lost for words for this post! this looks so dreamy!! thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sonia, Kankana, Mary, BBKD - thank you. Mary, I agree, we are so much more than sum of what we eat. There is a different kind of bond between those of us going back to read each other's blogs day after day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve been search for this recipe for so long .. first time I saw it on Raiza costa youtube channel 10 yrs ago .. i loved it .. but I couldn’t find written recipe .. so thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.