Monday, November 15, 2010

Cinnamon crumble coffee cake and TMI

                       


It is a dark, wet Monday morning. A steady drizzle is falling from the sky and I need coffee, badly. F. and I were up all night, our sleep interrupted intermittently by the yet uninterpreted crying of our youngest. I realize that whenever I mention my kids, I describe some form of malady. Case in point, on our drive to Piedmont on Saturday morning, my older one revisited the below described recipe in the car (I promise it was good, although I will admit it did not seem quite as appetizing the second time round, when I was cleaning it off the seats). I however just wanted to point out that they are actually healthy, energetic, happy children, so please do not feel obliged to leave nice, caring comments about their health conditions. Temperatures, snot and digested food in various forms are unfortunately just a part of having darling children, as so many of you know. Ok, I realize this is much too much information for a food blog (or any blog actually), so if anybody is still reading, forgive this digression.




Back to the dark, wet morning...I would not mind a steaming hot cup of coffee and a piece of that cinnamon crumble coffee cake I made on Friday evening. It only requires ingredients you already have at home if you bake every so often and makes a darn good breakfast. I realize I am on a cinnamon roll, but I can't help it. Cinnamon equals fall and the holidays to me and there is nothing that smells quite as good when it is baking away in your oven, so bear with me.




This recipe is adapted from the Joy of Cooking.

Ingredients
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp  salt

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla

 2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup melted butter

First of all, a rubber spatula comes in handy for this recipe, and a 13x9 inch baking pan.
Preheat your oven to 325°F (150°C approximately). Grease and flour your pan and set aside.
Whisk together the first 4 ingredients of the list. Then whisk the next four ingredients (starting from the egg) into another bowl, until well blended. Fold in the dry ingredients with the spatula. Drop batter into the pan in dollops, then smooth the top and set aside. 




 
Somebody is making sure I follow the recipe correctly

Stir the 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon into a bowl until well combined. Then pour over the melted butter. Toss with spatula until you see large crumbs form. Sprinkle over batter Bake 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack.








Two notes: 1) I had to bake mine for about 45-50minutes and the batter still was not cooked through completely. 2) There are several suggested additions, which I skipped: adding 1/2 tsp cardamom into the initial batter; adding a 1/2 cup of shredded nuts, pecans or sweetened coconut to the crumble; sprinkling the finished cake with confectioner's sugar (it was sweet enough for me without it).

 


When I finish baking, I don't just have the dishes to do
 
This is our deal: I get to bake, my official taster gets to scatter his stuff all over the place
 
                                    

12 comments:

  1. Hmm so when I have children I will have to clean up after them huh?

    I love cinnamon flavors so this crumble of yours is just perfect for me!
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adoro i crumbles! :)

    Senti, non dovrei dirlo ma tieniti libera sab 11 dicembre. Details to follow nei prossimi giorni :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was looking absolutely delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it all sounds too familiar!!! I feel your pain, but we love them so... :)

    After all that - I STILL WANT this coffee cake NOW!

    Another beauty and great picts :) cutie pie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if you are on a "cinnamon roll" I seem to be on a "dessert roll"! This looks delicious and I want to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww he's so cute! And I love, love, love cakes that you can do withpout having to go out shopping! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. MLEK - looks like it, but if you find another solution let me know, please!!
    Jas- fantastico, me lo segno subito e vado alla ricerca di una baby sitter...grazie
    Dinetonite - thanks...
    DW&D - it feels good to know it is not just me sometimes ;o)
    UrMomCooks - you look like you are doing pretty well with desserts!
    Lorraine - it is so satisfying to use up stuff you have in the house without buying any extra ingredients. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nuts!
    So, here I am.
    You made me smile with the first part of your post and then you made me mouth-watering with your recipe!
    I don' have children (not yet!) so thank you for teaching me how to deal with a little one while mommy is busy cooking :)
    Ci vediamo o da me o da te :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't change no matter how old they are but the joy is worth it. Looks great.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  10. this cake is making me hungry..it looks amaizing:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ale in Paris - Welcome! If your kids turn out half as cute as you were when you were a child...oh my gosh...Ci vediamo sia qui che lì!
    Chef Bee - Are you telling me it doesn't change? I know, isn't there a saying small children small problems, big children big problems... but I agree, it is worth every minute
    BBKD - it is perfect with a big mug of hot coffee...I still haven't had mine yet...can you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had rather an easy time with our kids (aha we were living in Italy then!) when they were little, it is the adolescent years when you wish that you could sell them. Snot running down the face is so much easier to handle than a snotty teen! And I am so there with you with that luscious Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cake and a cup of coffee. A true escape. Now I have to go and make one of these; really a favorite comfort food!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.